Early June Activities

June 4th : An update from the Schlaver Seed Farm is long overdue. There is much to report after a ten day visit by Julian, Roxi & Cotton from New York. First of all I should note that the kitchen remodeling project is not finish but huge progress has now given me a fully functional kitchen even if I am not moved back into it with all pots and pans et al. A terrific electrician was found and he is working hard on the project. The cook top work; the sink is in and along with the dishwasher means no more struggles in the bathroom as the source of water and dishwashing. The oven is in and operational as well. The granite counter top and under cabinet lighting is a real treat and a beautiful work spot for me. The refrigerator is now encircled with cabinetry and a bookcase completes that end of the room. The huge island with its walnut butcher block top make meal prep, and serving appetizers and plating food easy and enjoyable. Roxi and Julian enjoyed sitting on stools at it and doing laptop work as well. The new ceiling lights are not fully installed yet nor has the ceiling been refinished or the floors resurfaced but the light is in clear view at the end of the tunnel!

The major project that Julian took the lead on was power washing and refinishing the front door small deck and the large deck off the living room. In addition the entire railing around the deck was power washed, sanded and primed boy Roxi and Julian. Of course there were weeding, planting and other gardening activities. The 60 tomato plants and 100 sweet potato slips are finally in the ground as well as many other plants and seeds. The weather has been perfect with sun and warmth but not too much heat for all this activity and almost no rain to slow us down. We have been eating asparagus almost daily but have a couple weeks to wait for the strawberries.

Cotton spent endless hours in his sandbox and tried to fully participate in all other activities in the garden, lawn mowing, and painting. He is a very busy, active little boy when at “Pop’s house.” He has discovered the wonder of worms but does not enjoy spiders at all. He will now spend a full week with me without his parents and then the two of us travel Amtrak trains back to New York.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Farmer Paul,

    The kitchen looks amazing, although I'm a little disoriented. I think I can tell where everything is, but only an onsite visit will truly help me adjust to the changes. It sould like you, Roxi, Lulian, and Cotton have been very busy.

    It's lovely to see all the trees and flowers in bloom!!! Before you know it, it will be time to harvest.

    A small store called "American Provisions" has opened up near me in South Boston. Their motto is:"From farm to table." They have some yummy wares for sale from local farmers. I told them about your delicious goods and they're happy to accept samples. Since I don't have any unopened goods, I'll have to pick some up from you. Exciting yes?!

    Finally, I need some advice about basil. I bought 4 little basil plants and planted them in a roomy pot on my back deck. They've been kind of droopy since the day I bought them and one of them died! They seem to be hanging in there, but I could use some advice from an established farmer. I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

    Sincerely,

    Wannabe Urban Gardener
    (AKA Liz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aplogies to Julian for misspelling his name.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Farmer Paul,
    I too am disoriented by the new kitchen layout, but also very impressed. The granite is very snazzy looking and the sink looks almost as deep as a swimming pool! I can't wait to see the results in person.

    How was your week with Cottton?
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Contributors