The kitchen is Complete

July 2nd: The perfect large "farm table" was located and purchased by Julian and Roxi at a local antiques store and added to the house to complete the kitchen remodeling.  Ironically the color of the old barn board top and the sturdy legs match the new cabinets and butcher block perfectly. I am thrilled for a large table to serve the crowd on those holiday dinners or other gatherings was my desire. It is perfect for just sitting around to socializing, making puzzles, spread out pictures and papers or most any activity.  These images also give you further views and more perspective on the overall room. The images do not show the view out the deck doors that is directly to the left of the table in the first photo.but on a sunny summer day it can't be beat. The view and openness for air and heat circulation was a major goal of mine with this project. I so wanted to eliminate the wall that was the barrier between the kitchen and the rest of the space.  Now it is all one open, grand room.

I can now shift my focus more to the gardening tasks at hand as the summer weather really begins in Maine. That means confortable high seventies and low eighties in temperatures and only rare days of high humidity. Maine is sure a delight in the summer!  I continue to harvest asparagus, strawberries, rhubarb and lettuce...the only edibles so far.  The weeds are flourishing and keep me very busy but the veggies are growing too. I just planted more sweet corn since the first planting is now several inches high.  The cool spring and slow to arrive hot weather has set growth back by about two weeks on such things as corn, beans and tomatoes but I am not worried. I have cut off the garlic "scapes" and soon will harvest my largest crop of garlic in my gardening years here.

As the Furth of July weekend is at hand I am quietly pondering my good fortune to be here in Saco Maine on this wonderful property. I especially think of my mother now too for on June 30th we honored her on the ninth anniversary of her passing in her 89th yeear. Her hard work and frugality enabled me to buy this perfect retirement homestead and I will always honor her and my father for that by caring for it as best I can and sharing it with family and friends as they both always did with their home back in Mount Prospect Illinois.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors