The Sweet Potatoes Planting Completes the Garden.

The mail order sweet potato slips arrived on Saturday and in the ground they went. See the first picture below. The question is: Will these slips turn into a nice harvest like last year's result picked in October as the 2nd photo shows? I have done well with sweet potatoes each garden year so far so hope the streak continues. Virtually the entire garden is now planted. I finished the day by planting the tiny cucumber plants from my greenhouse and added some additional hills of cukes planted from seed. Some okra seedlings were planted along with more cabbages, cauliflower and broccoli. I still have many tomato and tomatillo seedlings simply too small to plant yet so hope they grow more to add to the garden soon. The lack of warmth even on sunny days, continues to be frustrating.

Strawberries are now turning red on many plants growing in the sunnier Field Garden for the first time. I believed the first picking can occur next week. Strawberry harvest is always an exciting garden moment here and will continue through the 4th of July. I purchased two dozen additional canning jars in anticipation of the upcoming jam making.

The first rose has now opened and many buds of various colors are poised to follow. The orange poppies always make for a good picture image as well.

One further news note worth a mention. This past week I was interviewed by the local newspaper as the reporter and I toured my gardens: http://blog.biddefordsacooobcourier.com/2009/06/12/getting-by--from-garden-to-dinner-table--june-11-2009.aspx







1 comment:

Contributors