Harvesting continues & the weather is perfect

September in Maine is considered the best month of the year by many Mainers. Cool evenings, sunny days in the 70's and gardens to harvest. I can't argue with this viewpoint even if I am still a new Mainer. As you can see below I now have broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and chard to enjoy. I am eating my own potatoes regularly as well as garlic. The beans are done but many are in the freezer. Zucchini are still growing as well as lots of beets, carrots and turnips. I have managed to harvest enough tomatoes to make two large batches of red salsa, 19 pint jars. All the peppers in them came from the garden and the garlic and cilantro as well. My onion crop is weak this year so store bought onions went into the salsa. I bought some farm stand cucumbers so I could make at least one batch of bread and butter pickles. I will have to buy more to make any other variety of pickles I want to can.

The sedum flower bed is showing its fall color and the marigolds, hydrangeas, sunflowers and dahlias are also adding color all around. Some mums have returned to bloom again. The sunflower plants should be six feet tall but are only three feet tall! The Martin bird house attracted the usual families of sparrows but this year a bird's nest appeared near it.. .for visitors or in-laws... I'm not sure.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors