It's October and I am still Harvesting Daily!

 The weather is holding nicely…cooler and some rain but no frost. I may be able to harvest some late peas,turnips, snow peas and radishes that were planted in hopes of a fall crop. My fall crop of green beans produced nicely. There are still tomatoes in the garden and I am cooking everything RED imaginable: chili, pasta sauce, soups and stew with tomatoes in them…and still canning tomato-based products.


The sweet corn was a big success and just harvested in September. Soon I will have decorative Indian corn as well. Acorn squash was the success story in the squash family and I have about two dozen in storage. The leeks are huge and I am due to start using them. They join Brussels sprouts and kale as the frost safe crops so there is no harvest pressure for them.

Anyone visiting me these days leaves with a bouquet of gladiolas and or dahlias as well as tomatoes, tomatillos, Swiss chard and yes, some of the endless zucchini crop! Many green peppers, various hot peppers, okra and eggplant are still growing and are part of the daily harvest as well.

Sales have begun of some of my canned goods, namely various jams, pickles and salsa. I look forward to more sales in October and some customers plan to buy extra for gifts for family and friends for the holidays. After all I have over 300 jars of products so can easily sell off many of them.

My crop of dried beans is now all “shucked” for storage: pinto, cannellini and kidney beans as one of the pictures show. I still have to finish digging the potatoes and pulling the onions and am very curious about the size of the sweet potatoes remaining underground. All should be harvested in the next week or so.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors