Finally...SPRING!

Yes, I think I can finally announce the arrival of spring in Saco Maine. As of today, April 15th all traces of snow are gone from my property. I still used the wood stove last night as the temperature dipped to 32 degrees but most days are sunny, fairly warm and beautiful...except for the now more frequent rainy ones.  When the ring of crocus aroung the lamp post is in bloom I know spring is here to stay. Below that photo is my garlic bed with the 168 of them growing well.  Most of the flower beds have now been raked clean of their winter's blanket of leaves and mulch and there is good growth of the emerging perennials everywhere. The daffodils will be the next to bloom followed by the hyacinths and tulips.

My main project outside besides yard and garden cleanup is the hard work on the wood pile. I try to have almost all of next winter's 3-4 cords of wood cut, split and stacked before the hot weather makes such work too grueling and the garden projects get too demanding. The two pictures below show that I am almost half way there now. I have several piles of wood pieces that need to be cut into stove lengths and split to add to the covered piles as these below. I am on track though because the cooler, slow to arrive spring of 2011 compared to 2010 has limited the garden work that can be done as of yet.  Grass cutting is still weeks away as is any outdoor planting of the first crops of peas, potatoes, lettuce and the like.

I am also busy getting ready for the kitchen remodeling project that is to start on Easter Monday, now just ten days away. While the crew is busy tearing up the place I expect to be outside gardening and working on the wood stash....and watching the new look inside the house unfold.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors